Educating and supporting the whole child is essential to the
well-being of every child. In order to have a positive impact on the whole
child, it is imperative that as educators, the family unit is supported as well
and parents are given the necessary tools to ensure their child is successful
in school and in life. Research has shown that students, whose parents play an
active role in their school life, do far better than children who parents do
not play an active role in their school life which clearly means that parent involvement
is necessary. In education, Parent Involvement consists of parents committing
themselves to participate actively academically with their child and or within
the school setting. But how does this information relate to single parent
households? Not divorced homes, but single parent households due to the death
of a parent.
To help me in my study to investigate the impact that parental
involvement of single (widowed) parents has on the academic achievement of
students, I selected two individuals to interview. I interviewed a Parent/Community
Liaison and a single (widowed) parent. Getting two individuals to commit to
this process was not hard at all. In fact, the two were very accessible and were
willing to give time from their schedules to help with the process, which I
assured them would be confidential. Although conducting interviews are very
common when doing research investigations, the interviews allowed me to explore
the views of the two individuals, get their experiences, beliefs, and
motivations about parent involvement and the impact it has on widowed families.
I thought scheduling and conducting interviews for research
purpose would be a challenge. However, everything went well. The interviews
allotted me entry into the personal aspects of the challenge of parental
involvement initiatives.
An experience expressed by the widowed parent that I
connected with and learned from was when she shared how her children’s school
informed her parenting and fostered better parenting skills for her. That
information compelled me to work towards ensuring that parents are serviced as
well as the students when it comes to learning.
I am excited about my Course Project. Currently I am
synthesizing literature. It is important for me to hone in on what professional
educational gurus in the field of education are saying about parental
involvement and the single/widowed parent. I have also completed an outline of
the sections that will be incorporated within the project. The interviews will
serve as great data to support my research.
As educators striving to support children and their parents,
would this research be compelling to you?
No comments:
Post a Comment